Main Content

Mold Inspection

Mold Inspection

Mold Inspection Process

A mold inspection is a visual & lab-tested examination of a home’s environment to determine if mold is present. It entails sampling the air, identifying any areas of moisture intrusion, inspecting for non-visible mold, and evaluating any existing mold or mildew damage. The inspector will send each sample taken off to an environmental testing laboratory for analysis.  This inspection will provide you with clear information regarding the types of mold found and their potential toxicity.

What is Mold?

Mold is a major factor in poor indoor air quality. Mold is a form of fungus. It typically grows in areas of a home that are poorly ventilated or have been exposed to water in the form of excess moisture or humidity. For mold to develop, it requires a combination of moisture, warmth, and organic matter to feed on. Some mold is toxic while other types are essentially harmless.  As mold is naturally occurring, spores generally enter a home or building through open windows and doors and contaminate the air.

Mold is a common problem in the humid weather of Florida. This is why Floridians keep their air conditioners running all year round, even while on vacation. Roof leaks are another common cause of mold growth.  With so many older homes with aging roofs and frequent rainstorms, roofers stay busy in the Sunshine State.

Health Risks

Mold can present a serious risk to your family’s health.  Stachybotrys, known as black mold, can cause memory loss, headaches, respiratory damage, and diarrhea. Children, the elderly, and individuals with weakened immune systems are more susceptible to mold-induced illness.  Finding a great home inspector that can identify dangerous mold is a smart choice.

cleaning agents and mask to remediate mold found on inspection

Mold Cleanup

According to the Envornmental Protection Agency’s Guidelines mold cleanup should be handled by a professional remediation company that follows the recommendations of the EPA’s Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings.  However, if the contaminated area is less than 10 square feet and the home has not been subjected to serious water intrusion, you may be able to handle the cleanup on your own.  It is best to consult a professional if the source of the mold is your HVAC system or exposure to sewage.  If you have any underlying health problems, consult a healthcare professional before tackling the cleanup on your own.  Consult the EPA for detailed instructions and precautions.

Share Article:
Skip to content