After You Close Checklist
October 5, 2020 374 views
Print this moving checklist so that you don’t miss a beat after you close. Moving can be overwhelming, take it step by step.
Before the Move
- Arrange for movers or packing materials
- Notify your utility services at both your current and future residence
- Research and contact service providers at your new residence (e.g. Internet, Cable, Phone)
- Complete the change-of-address form at the post office, let the state know if you have a professional license, and alert your children’s schools
- Start using up items that cannot be moved, such as frozen food, bleach and aerosols Begin packing items you don’t use often
- Arrange for home insurance cancellation & a new insurance policy for your new home
- Store important documents such as birth certificates, medical records, legal/financial papers in a safe place that will not get lost in the move
- Donate or sell items that you do not wish to move (save the receipts for tax deductions)
- Pack an essentials bag (in case you don’t unpack right away)
- Measure furniture and come up with a plan on where you want everything in the new home.
- Empty and defrost the refrigerator (dry it out and keep the door propped open so mold does not grow).
- Clean your current living space leave it better than you found it, “Moving Karma!”
- Give your landlord/new owner your new address in case he/ she needs to forward stray mail.
After the Move
- Clean your new home
- Change the locks to outside doors and make sure all windows lock properly
- Check smoke detectors and replace batteries, if needed
- Be sure that all utility services are turned on and in your name (Electric, Gas, Water, Basin and Drainage, Garbage, etc.)
- Arrange times for cable and internet providers to come and install
- Change your address on your bank accounts, credit cards, driver’s license, vehicle registration, voter’s registration, etc.
- Notify your employer of your new address and new local tax ID
- Store all of your home’s closing documents in a safe place
- Find and store manuals for the home’s appliances and systems
- Store important documents such as birth certificates, sales records, legal/financial papers in a safe place that will not get lost after the move
- Meet your neighbors
- Unpack and enjoy your new home!